You can always check back here for updates on rink construction and schedules.
USA HockeyCHANGE IN SCHEDULE: ...
The Minnesota Polars had planned to play out of the Schwans Super Rink in Blaine, MN. The rink we were scheduled to play on is currently being delayed in construction. As a result we have been relocated to Rink #2 at Columbia Arena in Fridley, MN until Mid-December.
The Minnesota Stingers had planned to start at the Minnesota Made Ice Center in Edina, MN. When we initially scheduled the rink we knew there was a possibility it would not be ready until after Thanksgiving... We found out today that indeed the rink will not be ready until after Thanksgiving.
Therefore both teams will play out of Columbia Arena in Fridley, MN for the first 3 weeks from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m....
DIRECTIONS TO COLUMBIA ARENA:
From 694 (All points south) - Take University Ave. North to 69th Ave., (take a right on 69th Ave.). Take your first left on the East Service Drive (Frontage Road). Colombia Arena will be on your right hand side.
From the North - Take Hwy 47/University Ave. South to 73rd Ave. Take a Left. Take your first right on the East Service Drive (Frontage Road). Columbia Arena will be on your left.
MEET OUR COACHES:
Minnesota Stingers - Head Coach Rick Carlson; Asst. Coach Chris McCallister
Minnesota Polars - Head Coach Chris Winkel; Asst. Coach Bill Marshall
Here are a few notes before the puck drops!
1. If you are in need of equipment please contact Coach Rick at 763-546-1590 regarding used equipment we have received. Please note this equipment is usable, but not in the best shape. Our equipment guide can help with your planning.
2. Please arrive at 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, November 5. This will allow time for you to get dressed and will allow your parent or guardian time to sign final paperwork. (Skaters may wish to dress at home, then add skates and a bit of gear on site.)
3. If you have friends or family interested in volunteering please contact Susie at email@example.com or 612-325-3392. For safety reasons volunteers must be at least 14 years of age or older. A volunteer meeting will be held on Sunday, November 5 at 5:00 p.m. Volunteer spaces are limited. (I never thought I would say this. We have an overwhelming response of volunteers.). USA Hockey requires all Volunteers to wear Hockey Helmets at all times when on the ice. If you do not have your helmet you will not be allowed on the ice.
4. We are still accepting registrations. Please tell your friends!!! We do have scholarship money available from Edina Rotary and Bremer Bank. If you know someone who would like to play but does not have the financial resources please have them contact us to see if they would qualify.
5. We would like each team to have a team manager. This position would help plan activities for the team and help the coaches with other responsibilities. If you are interested please inform your coach.
6. MN Special Hockey is a part of the American Special Hockey Program which is part of USA Hockey. Each year USA Hockey hosts a Disabled Hockey Festival. This year's festival is going to be held November 30 - December 3. We will not be sending a team this year; however any one of our players could go and join another team. If you would like additional information about this tournament please see the attached flyer and let your coach know you are interested.
7. These are exciting times. This is the beginning for all of us. If you have questions, compliments, or concerns please discuss with our coaches Rick or Chris, or any of the other board members.
8. Keep checking our website (www.mnspecialhockey.org)! We will post new and helpful information. (jf: The website Announcements link on the left side of each of our pages will take you to this blog.)