Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Disabled Coaches Clinic: Oct 30, Coon Rapids Ice center

From: Jane Cashin<jocashin@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:18 PM
Subject: Coaches clinic

All coaches and volunteers are highly encouraged to attend the Disabled Coaches Clinic.

Anyone that is on the ice with the players should consider attending this event.

When:  Sunday, October 30th, 8:30 am until 3:00 pm
Location:  Coon Rapids Ice Center

Each participant will walk away with a coaching certification card and a lot more information on disabled hockey.

Please let Joe Kelly know if you will be attending this event: joe@mnspecialhockey.org

Questions?  Contact Joe or Bill Thielbar (hackeybirch@aol.com)

A preliminary agenda:

* Intro/Welcome
* State of Disabled Hockey: Stats on growth, awareness, what has evolved over the last 5-10 years
* USA Hockey/ADM overview
* Skating
* Puck Control & Passing
* Disability Awareness
* CPR
* Strength and Conditioning
* Teambuilding Exercise
* On Ice Session
Station 1 Skating Skills
Station 2 Puck Control
Station 3 Passing Skills
Station 4 Shooting Skills
Station 5 Small Area Games
* Wrap up

Thursday, October 06, 2011

Facebook page for the Eagles (Eagles specific notice)

Based on team interest I've created a FB "Page" for MNSH Eagles. The page is visible to anyone, but only Facebook members who "like" the Page can add to it. Please note: These kinds of FB "Page" are always public. Unlike a personal FB wall you can't restrict who sees what you post or comment on. FB comments are not anonymous, they include names and will show up in Google searches.

Note that there's also a (public) Facebook Page for Minnesota Special Hockey; you can see updates to that page on the right side of this blog.

I've had good results with using a FB page with my baseball team. Many people find it easier to track Facebook updates than email or posts to blogs like this one.

General MNSH news will continue to be posted here, but I'll link to it from the Eagles' Page. Eagles specific news and discussions will only be on the Eagles FB page. So if you follow the Eagles FB page you will see it all.

Eagles email won't be changing. The things I emailed before will still go out by email, but they will also show up on the FB Page. You can ignore the FB page if you like.

I hope members of the Eagles family will also use this Page to connect and share non-hockey information of interest to our community.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Season Kickoff meeting Sunday October 16

Our season kickoff is coming October 16. Please see the flyer for details.

Here are some highlights.

  • Meeting 1:30-2:00pm (board members, coaches, etc)
  • Skate 2:15-3:45
  • Mariucci arena

This year we require skates, helmet and GLOVES.

No sticks or pucks (alas!).

Saturday, October 01, 2011

Hockey equipment distribution Sunday Oct 9 at Xcel energy center

I'm late spotting this, but there will be a free hockey equipment distribution Sunday Oct 9 at Xcel energy center from 9am to noon. I don't know if there's any special arrangement for MNSH players.

If you have equipment to donate you can drop it off at arenas and some retail stores (see below). Sounds like this has been a good dropoff season! I don't know if these donations are tax deductible.

Hockey Equipment Drive update | Minnesota Hockey

... An enormous success already, the 2011 Used Hockey Equipment Drive is reaching its final days, leading up to the distribution of equipment on Sunday, Oct. 9, at the Xcel Energy Center. From 9 a.m. to noon inside Gate 1, equipment will be available – first come, first  served – for all individuals, families, teams and associations who are in need of hockey equipment.

Equipment donations will also continue to be accepted until Tuesday, Oct. 4, throughout the Twin Cities at select arenas and hockey shops.

A partnership between Let’s Play Hockey, the Minnesota Wild and Minnesota Hockey, the 2011 Used Hockey Equipment Drive has netted loads of new and used youth and adult hockey gear. Boxes of equipment were overflowing at Westwood Sports in Apple Valley and Chanhassen, and at arenas in Eden Prairie, Plymouth, Blaine and New Hope, resulting in the need to call in equipment drive sponsor Berger Transfer to pick up all the donated gear.

In addition, the Augsburg College women’s hockey program  donated nearly a dozen sets of goalie pads and other equipment. “We couldn’t be more pleased with the response of the hockey community to the equipment drive for the third straight year,” Let’s Play Hockey publisher Doug Johnson said. “The need is so great today, and we’re hopeful that this drive will help kids stay in hockey or begin to play for the first time.”

Berger Transfer has placed drop-off boxes at the following arenas: Burnsville, Woodbury, Super Rink (Blaine), Eden Prairie, Plymouth, Lakeville, Bloomington, Eagan, Highland (St. Paul), St. Thomas (Mendota Heights), Stillwater, Cottage Grove, Maple Grove, Apple Valley, White Bear Lake, Braemar (Edina), Buffalo, North St. Paul, Tartan (Oakdale) and Minnetonka. Westwood Sports (Bloomington, Chanhassen and Apple Valley) and Boehm’s (Mendota Heights and St. Paul) are also drop-off locations...

I've added this event to the Eagles calendar (only one I can edit).